Soon afterwards, the very first foundations of Sonning’s St.
Andrew’s parish church would have been laid probably on or near the site of an earlier place of pagan worship.
Sonning, meanwhile, became the seat of sizeable ‘hall’ or ‘palace’ built upon a steep incline on the bishops’ Holme Park estate and well above the flood plain.
This site commanded fine views of the river and surrounding countryside.
The ensuing civil war (1642-1648) was largely peripheral to Sonning with major military engagements taking place elsewhere around Reading and Oxford.The village lies within easy access of the A4, M4 and M40 motorways, bus routes and railway stations at Reading, Twyford and Winnersh.Although archaeological evidence revealed the existence of earlier Romano-British settlement at Sonning Hill (now the site of the Thames Valley Business Park) and Neolithic stone circles near Charvil, Sonning originated in Anglo-Saxon times when ‘Suna’s people’ reputedly pitched camp some time during the 5th Century AD in clearings along the River Thames.A History of Sonning Sonning village in Berkshire is situated next to the River Thames three miles north-east of Reading.Its famous lock, built in the 18th Century, is 40.5 miles from Oxford and 72 miles from London Bridge via river.